Maybe you’ve glimpsed that gourmet dark chocolate peanut butter in the stores when you were looking for the one lonely plain sugar-free brand. What a shame that gourmet stuff has sugar in it–and what a shame it costs $4.00 a jar!
Especially since it’s so easy to make your own. A little cocoa powder, some peanut butter, and you’re done! I seriously doubt you’ll spend $4.00 making it, even if you make enough to fill a peanut butter jar. So enjoy the chocolate peanut butter “fix”–and enjoy the savings, too!
Easy Sugar-Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread
- 6 Tbsp sugar-free peanut butter
- 4 tsp cocoa powder
- Optional: Sweetener equal to 2 tsp sugar, or to taste.
- Stir your peanut butter as best you can, but don’t worry if the oil isn’t blended perfectly. This is one time any extra oil in your peanut butter will work in your favor, because the cocoa powder will absorb it and take on a richer flavor.
- Measure the peanut butter into a small bowl or jar (I use custard cups). Add the cocoa powder, and stir until thoroughly blended.
- Taste it, then add the sweetener only if you really need to. The longer you eat low carb, the less sweetener you’re likely to need.
- Spread it on your favorite grain-free crackers or bread. Or just eat as is. (Because, you know…chocolate and peanut butter.)
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator; it’ll stay good as long as regular peanut butter does.
Yield: About 3/8 cup spread.
Tip: If you’re near the bottom of the peanut butter jar and the pb is too stiff to work with, try mixing it with some butter or coconut oil first. Then measure the butter/peanut butter mix, and add cocoa powder accordingly.
Welcome to The Frugal LowCarber!Eat well while saving money. All recipes are low carb and sugar-free; most are gluten free and paleo-friendly, too. FLC also features articles on day-in, day-out strategies for getting the most out of your food dollar. More...
Tip JarDonations of 25¢ or more gratefully accepted.
Inside The Frugal LowCarber
Obligatory Disclosure: Affiliate Links
I am now sprinkling affiliate links throughout the site. Here's the full Disclosure Policy. (I know you're just dying to read it!)