We have a “double-header” for Mostly-Meatless Monday this week. First up is this crust; in a few hours I’ll be posting something to put in it.
A quiche can be a great budget-stretcher, if we can get around the problem of the carbohydrates in the crust. An almond meal pie crust would do that–if we could get around the problem of it crumbling everywhere!
Try this version. The proportions of fat to meal here are a little different than in most of the almond meal crusts out there. This won’t hold its own in a fruit or cream pie, and I haven’t tested it yet in a cheesecake. But for a quiche it gets the job done. This crust will work for an 8″ – 9″ pie pan.
Basic Low Carb Quiche Crust
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups almond meal
- 1/4 tsp salt (if using unsalted butter)
- Melt your butter. (I like to do this by putting it in the pie pan and putting the pie pan in the oven while it’s pre-heating. Then I go and do something the quiche needs.)
- If the butter isn’t in the pie pan already, pour it in. Add the almond meal. Stir with a fork until the meal and fat are completely mixed. You will have a coarse crumbly mixture.
- Press evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the pie pan.
- Do not pre-bake. Your crust is now ready for adding quiche fillings. Just make sure any layers allow your egg mixture to reach the sides and bottoms of the crust. (I suspect this is one of the reasons this crust will work for a quiche!)
- Bake according to quiche recipe directions.
Yield: 1 quiche crust.
Nutritional Information: A whole crust contains approximately 23.5g carbohydrates, 14.0g fiber, 9.5g net carbs, 25.7g protein, 106.2g fat, and 1094 calories.
Welcome to The Frugal LowCarber!Eat well while saving money. All recipes are low carb and sugar-free; most are gluten free and paleo-friendly, too. FLC also features articles on day-in, day-out strategies for getting the most out of your food dollar. More...
Tip JarDonations of 25¢ or more gratefully accepted.
Inside The Frugal LowCarber
Obligatory Disclosure: Affiliate Links
I am now sprinkling affiliate links throughout the site. Here's the full Disclosure Policy. (I know you're just dying to read it!)