I know I’m not the first person to improvise a homemade hot mocha, so I thought that mentioning this might be stating the obvious. This morning, though, I stumbled across a recipe made with NesQuik [shudder]. That convinced me that it’s past time I posted my low carb, sugar-free version.
This recipe won’t give you the extra caffeine of espresso, and it won’t give you the froth of steamed milk. On the other hand, it does give you a heap of flavor, and it gives you total control over the sweetener.
Easy Low Carb Mocha
- 2 Tbsp Sugar-Free Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix
- Freshly brewed hot coffee (regular or decaf)
- Sweetener of your choice
- Homemade sugar-free whipped cream (optional)
- Add the cocoa mix to your favorite mug.
- Pour the hot coffee over it and stir.
- Add sweetener and stir again, then adjust sweetener if needed.
- (optional) Add some homemade sugar-free whipped cream if you’ve got it, or maybe some mint extract or some cinnamon.
Assuming a 10-ounce cup of coffee, each cup has about 1.8 g protein, 2.5 g total carbs, 0.2 g fiber, and 2.3 g net carbs.
Welcome to The Frugal LowCarber!Eat well while saving money. All recipes are low carb and sugar-free; most are gluten free and paleo-friendly, too. FLC also features articles on day-in, day-out strategies for getting the most out of your food dollar. More...
Tip JarDonations of 25¢ or more gratefully accepted.
Inside The Frugal LowCarber
Obligatory Disclosure: Affiliate Links
I am now sprinkling affiliate links throughout the site. Here's the full Disclosure Policy. (I know you're just dying to read it!)